Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Purple Buckwheat Muffins

I have a ton of scary buckwheat flour left over from my buckwheat crepes and considering all of it's wonderful health benefits I thought I should learn how to use it. I found a good-lookin' buckwheat muffin recipe at "Pink of Perfection" and replaced the strawberries with raspberries. Also, because I'm still scared of buckwheat I topped them with alot of brown sugar instead of a little bit of white. They turned out so pink that they are almost purple and how can I be scared of purple muffins? Turns out I'm not. I can't stop eating them.


1 1/2 cups raspberries
1/3 cup plus white sugar
2 T. brown sugar for tops of muffins
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Toss together raspberries and sugar. Using a potato masher, lightly mash berries; set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla until combined.

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture and the berry mixture (including juices). Fold until just combined. Divide batter among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.

Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 17 minutes. Cool 5 minutes in the pan, then transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.

Source: Adapted from "Pink of Perfection"

1 comment:

  1. I bet you my 3 yr old would love these! Who doesn't love a purple muffin? I've never tried buckwheat, maybe I will now :)

    PS You've won an award - check out my blog for more details :)

    ReplyDelete

You can tell me anything.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails