Pages

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Calling all Locavores

Locavore. I love this word. I've already slipped it into 4 conversations today. As long as you avert your gaze when you say it, and then quickly make eye contact, the person your talking to pretends they know what you said. Intense.



What is a locavore you ask. A locavore is a person who prefers to eat locally grown/produced food. Which brings me to the community share agriculture co-op I've joined through The Home Grow-In Grocer LTD.

GET THIS: Starting at the end of June, I will recieve a basket of fresh produce every week. By fresh I mean picked from the earth within 24 hours of reaching my kitchen. Today I was given a sample package of the produce that I have invested in. It is incredibly satisfying to pull carrots, beets and radishes out from the bag, shake the dirt off, and imagine all the wholesome meals these ingredients could possibley contribute to.

In order to help others support their local economy and local farms I would like to direct my American readers to this great website http://www.localharvest.org/ for a list of farmers markets and grocery co-ops near you. And if you are Canadian, you can find your directory of sustainable agriculture at http://www.planetfriendly.net/.

Stay tuned for the locavorious dinner I have planned. (yes, I just made that word up)

For more information on The Home Grow-In Grocer LTD please visit http://www.home-growin.com/
Print Print

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Fresh grown and harvested produce is the best tasting stuff ever. I love my garden & can't wait until it starts to produce :) Can't wait to see what you create with your bounty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just now found your blog and spent some time reading this and your earlier posts. I really like your recipes and the tone of your blog. I'll be back as often as I can to see what you've been cooking. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

You can tell me anything.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails