Pages

Saturday, February 13, 2010

Super Soft and Supple Pita Bread

Yes, I said supple. I know it's creepy. Well I'm creepy, but the bread is not. The bread is super soft and supple.
It's delicious, warm, crispy, soft and perfect for my Proscuitto Chicken Ceasar Sandwich.
I can't wait to make a bunch of crazy dips in my food processor as a present for this bread. I'll dedicate them to this bread.




-Place 2 cups all-purpose flour in a bowl and stir in 1 1/4 cups boiling water.
-Stir until smooth, Cover and let sit 1/2 an hour.(Mine didn't really get "smooth"...but it started to stick together like a dough would stick together)-In a separate bowl combine 1/4 cup potato flour(Or flakes or buds)and 1 cup all-purpose flour with 1 1/4 t. salt, 2 T. vegetable oil, and 1 t. instant yeast.
-Add to the cooled flour/water mixture. Stir together. Will seem dry at first, but will eventually start to come together.
-Knead for several minutes(I did it by hand but you can use an electric mixer or bread machine). The dough will remain soft and somewhat sticky.(Mine wasn't sticky)-Put the dough into a greased container, let rise, covered for 1 hour or longer.
-Divide the dough into 8 pieces, form into balls. Cover for 15-30 minutes.
-Flatten each piece into circle. About 5 inch diameter. Then roll them out to about 7 inch diameter.
-Heat a skillet over medium heat. NO OIL. Dry fry till brown underneath-about 1 minute. The bread will puff a bit. Turn over, and cook till the other side is brown. About 1 minute.
-If big bubbles develop, prick with a skewer. Flatten with the pressure of a flipper.
-As the breads come off the skillet-stack them on top of eachother to keep soft and moist. You can use them for dipping in hummous or make sandwiches or wait until they cool and bag them in plastic.
Source:King Arthur Flour

Photos:Shawn Campbell


1 comment:

  1. Such a good idea! I'll use the frying pan next time for higher heat! The oven never seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete

You can tell me anything.

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails